CIRCUS THINKERS PLATFORM 2021
Circus Thinkers Platform is our online global members group where we read and reflect on current texts and discourse relevant to the development of contemporary circus development.
Time & Location
05 Jan 2021, 18:00 CET – 14 Dec 2021, 19:30 CET
About the Event
Circus Thinkers Platform is our online global members group where we read and reflect on current texts and discourse relevant to the development of contemporary circus development. It's a weekly encounter - we meet every Tuesday 18:00-19:30 CEST/CET via Zoom. It's not mandatory to attend each week, you can come and go as you like. We decide as a group what we are going to read and focus on. We started in April with Falling the Thought of Circus by John Paul Zaccarini and have since revisited the open letters to the circus by Bauke Lienvens and currently we are reading Thinking Through Circus by Circus Dialogues, essays by Peta Tait, zine by Ess Moser and other works. In 2021 we will be watching performance lectures, and discussing more books including Circus as Multimodial Discourse, The Meaning of Circus and others.
Apart from reading and discussing members who want engage in creative writing exercises and have possibility to contribute/develop to publications and talks.
Who is it for?
- You enjoy committing to learning together with others in a flexible way.
- You are an active participant.
- You miss people in your every day to reflect on circus and cultural theory with.
- You enjoy talking, reading and writing about contemporary circus.
- You seek out information to share with others.
- You are happy to share and relate input to your personal experiences and professional life.
- You demonstrate a generous, non-judgemental attitude and enjoy meeting new people.
If this sounds like you, you might very well love the Circus Thinkers Platform and we'd love to meet you.
How does it work?
- We will meet for 90mins every Tuesday at 18:00 CEST.
- We use the study circle format to investigate, reflect on and discover texts together and discuss topics arising from the input. Sessions are moderated.
- The language is English.
- There is no requirement to attend every session. You can come to all or every third, but you need to keep on top of your engagement in order to be a part. We co-create the sessions - it is not a platform that allows for passive engagement.
- Some of the platform participants are collaborating on creating a written publication - participation in the publication is optional and subject to editor curatorial support moderation.
- We use slack as a communication tool for info sharing.
- Sometimes the authors grant us free use of the works, other times we each buy a copy of the books at our own expense. It's always a group decision what we decide to work with.
How do I take part?
It is possible to take part from anywhere in the world - we meet via zoom. The only think you need is an active paid membership for Cirkus Syd for the month you take part (and a stable internet connection). The membership needs to be paid before you join.
Once your membership is paid you are added to the slack channel to access info on zoom links and reading instructions/preparation for the sessions.
Times: Regular Tuesdays 18:00 CEST Start date: 5th of January 2021
So far in 2020 we have read and discussed titles including:
'Falling - the Thought of Circus' by John-Paul Zaccarini
Thinking Through Circus by the Circus Dialogues
For questions email email@example.com
Please make sure you have paid the membership for the current month at least 2 working days before the session you want to attend. If it's less than 2 working days before we can not guarantee we have time to pick up and send you the information.
Look forward to meeting you and all the new thinkers!